Friday, February 8, 2013

Sage Calling

Compared with the east coast weather, I have nothing to grumble about. Still, today in LA it is chilly and the forecast calls for rain. Some days this wouldn't stop me. Some days I hope for rain. Today, I'm feeling chilled to the bone and am having a hard time motivating to get out for a run.

These are the days when I especially miss my running buddy, B. I don't have a lot of experience with running buddies. B was my first, and until last week, my only. B and I met while out running. Our routes crossed paths, and eventually we joined forces. She inspired me with her commitment. Her schedule never wavered - she wasn't fast, but she was out at lunchtime everyday, doing her 5 mile loop.

When I first started running with B she was training for her second full marathon ever, which was also her second of the year. She inspired me to increase my miles, and sign up for my first half marathon. We ran through the summer together, and through part of an intense triple-digit heatwave. We talked about our families, our boyfriends, our professional interests, and running. Sometimes we didn't talk at all.

After B's marathon, she eased up on her miles. I was still working towards my half, so I'd meet her at her workplace, we'd run 2.5 miles together, and then I'd drop her off there and finish off my 5. Then she cut back on her days to go part-time and work on her next career. I looked forward to the 2- or 3- times a week that we'd still run together, but she was getting slower and I could tell her heart wasn't in it anymore. Towards the end she cut back to just one day a week. I knew she wasn't doing any long weekend runs with her other running partner. The last time I saw her, I gave her a holiday present - Cheryl Strayed's Wild. That was the last time I saw her. Since Christmas we've texted once - she was taking time off to heal a foot injury. Doesn't this read like a eulogy?

So, grumble, grumble. Today I would have gone out if B had been around, but I just couldn't brave the chill. What is it about some days? I don't over-think a thing one day, and then there are days like today when I wake up ready for a midday run and then spend the rest of the day trying to find a good excuse not to go.

Today's excuses went like this: It's cold. It's a long day. I'm tired.

Then my boyfriend called to tell me both kids were home from school today. Em has ear infections and Es has the flu. Suddenly I wondered if the inner-voice that had been looking for a reason all day to rest was actually the Sage speaking. There is some place deep inside me, on this day that I will go straight from my day job to teach yoga, and then directly from there to sing a gig, that did not chastise my decision to stay in. There was a tiny applause, actually. I didn't feel like a slacker, but still I wondered. It took till I got that phone call to consider that it has been my Sage all along.

Meanwhile, tomorrow, usually my day off, I am looking forward to a beautiful Saturday 6 miler through Griffith Park.

SUNDAY'S RUN: 
Setting:
February 3, 2013.
Los Angeles, CA
Morning
60's - 70's. Very pleasant.

Run:
12 miles
1:54:30
average pace: 9:32


TUESDAY'S RUN: 
Setting:
February 5, 2013.
Los Angeles, CA
Afternoon
60's

Run:
5.13 miles
49:07
average pace: 9:34

No comments:

Post a Comment